Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vintage Uzbek Photos



This photo makes me dream up a movie of two sisters...



I'm planning in slow baby steps a trip to Uzbekistan.



The one on the left looks Cherokee:


I found these photos online... website long gone yet these photos remained somehow accessible.

I wonder why the women were photographed in pairs...

These are my real maternal aunts in Kabul circa 1973. My aunt Jamila redesigned the traditional ikat fabric (so famous now in fashion) into something more modern. For some reason as a little girl this photo scared me a little... (maybe its the tangle of colors):

2 comments:

janey said...

Oh my god, that is so stylish! I love it. Very lovely women too. But is ikat really that traditional? I took a class on culture and globalization and I believe I read that Ikat came from Indonesia or someplace around there! Just goes to show that globalization has always been occurring.

Talibonita said...

Hi Janey, as far as I know it has been used in Uzbekistan since the wheel and so ingrained in Uzbek culture. I love that my aunts' shoes are now back in style ;) Thank you for your comment. Please tell me more about this indonesia connection. I wouldn't be surprised transnational trade has been going on for centuries.